Date: Friday, October 19, 2018
Time: 12:30 – 2:00 pm
Location: UTSC, Room IC 318
Learn the ins and outs of communicating effectively with your teen. In this workshop, we will discuss the following themes:
- What is Communication and why is it so important to have it with your teen
- How is communicating with a teen different from a younger child
- How to really listen to your teen
- Common Communication Blocks
- Specific communication strategies to enhance the parent/teen relationship
- Keeping the lines of communication open when you’re teen is off to university/college
This workshop is designed for parents of teens ages 12 and up.
Facilitator: Ferne is a long standing Family Life Educator with Jewish Family & Child. Ferne has facilitated numerous groups and workshops for children, teens and adults, these include: Living with Teens Parenting, One Family, Two Homes for families experiencing separation and divorce, Social Skills for both the parents and children, Family Life for grade 6, 7 & 8 students in the public and day schools, Tobacco Education, Teen Programs. Ferne is a certified facilitator in the Triple P Parenting Program which focuses on Positive Parenting strategies and has a background in Adlerian philosophies. In Ferne’s non-professional life she is the mother of 2 adult boys and a grandmother who enjoys numerous hobbies. Ferne brings a wonderful sense of humour and knowledge to everything she does.
Registration required. University of Toronto students, staff, faculty, and their partners are welcome. Please let us know if you have any mobility challenges so we can accommodate your needs.