In Canada, education is a provincial responsibility. The Ontario Ministry of Education website provides an in-depth description of elementary and secondary education, including curriculum and expectations for each grade level and subject, a school board directory, and an elementary and secondary school finder. If you are an international student, please check our tip sheet on how to register your child in school.
In Ontario there are public schools and publicly funded Catholic schools. Click on the links below to visit each board’s website.
- Toronto District School Board
- Toronto Catholic District School Board
- Peel District School Board
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
French Language Schools
- Conseil scolaire Viamonde
(French Public District School Board, including the Toronto area)
- Conseil scolaire catholique MonAvenir
(French Catholic District School Board, including the Toronto area)
- French Language Schools in Ontario
A list of public, private and Catholic French schools.
Schools on the St. George Campus
Please note that both schools have specific admissions requirements.
- Canadian Association of Independent Schools
- Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Our Kids Canada’s Private School Guide
Many private schools in the Greater Toronto Area approach their curriculum from a religious perspective. You can link to the Government of Ontario’s Private Elementary and Secondary Schools page to find a directory. See Our Kids guide to religious-affiliated private schools.