Leaves for Undergraduate Students

Staff members at the Family Care Office are available to meet with you individually to discuss your particular situation.

Planning a Leave from your Program of Study

While there is no standard policy for undergraduate students wishing to take a leave of absence from their studies for the birth or adoption of a new child and/or for the caregiving responsibilities of another family member, the University supports students in facilitating a successful return to their program of study. You should plan to meet with your Registrar’s Office as early as possible to discuss your particular situation and to map out plans for continuing your studies. There are different options that you can take, depending on your program of study, so don’t be afraid to ask.

Planning a Leave from Work

If you currently are working as well as studying, and have been with your current employer for at least 13 weeks, you may be entitled to a leave of absence and your job will be protected.
If you are pregnant, you are entitled to a 17-week pregnancy leave and up to 61 weeks of parental leave from work as outlined in Employment Standards. All other new parents are entitled to up to 63 weeks of parental leave.

There are unpaid, job-protected leaves that you may be able to access if you are caring for a seriously ill family member. Employment Insurance (EI) benefits may be available for some of these leaves.

Family Caregiver Leave

Family Medical Leave and EI Compassionate Care Benefits

Critical Illness Leave and EI Family Caregiver Benefit for Children / EI Family Caregiver Benefit for Adults

Employment Standards

The Employment Standards Act (ESA) sets out rights of employees and requirements that apply to employers in most Ontario workplaces. If you are protected by the ESA, you may have the right to take time off from work for pregnancy, parental, family caregiver, critical illness, and family medical leaves. For further information about these leaves and whether or not you are covered by ESA, then please refer to the Ministry of Labour website.

Employment Insurance

If you will be caring for a new child, a family member who is gravely ill and who has a significant risk of death, or for a critically ill child or adult, you may be eligible for Employment Insurance benefits. For further information, visit Service Canada.

Book an Appointment

Email us or call 416-978-0951 to book a confidential appointment with a staff member at the Family Care Office to discuss your particular situation.

Download Guide for Undergraduate Students with Family Responsibilities in PDF format